The Department of Gujarati, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat offers research work in the following areas:
1) Veer Narmad South Gujarat University geographically represents the famous forests of Dang and Vyara. These forests are inhabited by primitive tribes since ages. The literature of this region reflects the impact of this primitive culture, the traditions of folk literature and their rites, rituals and ceremonies. The research works/projects include research on the dialects of tribal people, their folk tales, folk songs, the representation of cultural life and heritage in folk literature.
2) In Gujarati Literature, our teachers offer research topics in the areas of contemporary trends in Dalit Literature and Feminism leading to social equality.
3) There is a lot of emphasis on Indian Literature, World Literature and Film Studies apart from the regional Gujarati Literature, so that the students do not remain restricted to the study of regional literature.
4) A syllabus based on the theoretical study of the socio-cultural, literary and historical impact of the wrecked and ruined temples of Gujarat is prepared under Special Assistance Programme (UGC-SAP) and based on the same, research topics are given to the students for Project Work, M.Phil. & Ph.D.
5) In the Department of Gujarati, Dr.Sharifa Vijaliwala specializes in narratology, comparative literature, feminist literature, literary criticism, partition literature, interdisciplinary studies and folk literature. Dr. Bharat Thakor has a keen interest in conducting research related to Dictionary, poetry and linguistics. Dr. Panna Trivedi is interested in fiction, biographies, feminist literature and post-modern literature. Dr. Naresh Shukla conducts research in the areas of interdisciplinary research, aesthetic research, research on literary criticism and modern literature.