The vision of Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, as envisaged in the University Act, is to contribute to the field of higher education in the region and enable its inclusive development in all walks of life by making available trained personnel in various branches of human knowledge, keeping in mind the larger goals of nation-building. The University is committed to maintain high standards in both undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, promoting research and undertaking the requisite extension activities that would reach out to every section of society.
Veer Narmad South Gujarat University has endeavoured to be an institution of excellence in higher education since its existence, keeping in view the regional needs and the emerging trends in the global scenario. A semi-urban University located at Surat city, the University has a campus spread over 210 acres. The University, re-accredited ‘A’ grade with 3.02 CGPA by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council in 2017, is also accredited with ‘B++’ grade with 2.90 CGPA under Academic and Administrative Audit (AAA) by Knowledge Consortium of Gujarat, Education Department, Government of Gujarat in 2016. The university was originally established under the South Gujarat University Act, 1965 passed by the Gujarat State Legislative Assembly. It became functional from the academic year of 1966 and was incorporated as a University on 23 May, 1967. Recognized by the University Grants Commission in 1968, it was renamed as Veer Narmad South Gujarat University in 2004 after the great Gujarati poet Narmad, Narmadshankar Lalshankar Dave. The mandate of the University is to meet the developmental needs of the seven districts and two Union Territory in the region and attempts at realizing their potential in every walk of life ranging from technology, business, industry and commerce to language, culture, and fine arts. The basic objectives of the University as envisaged by the University Act are:
Undergraduate and Post-graduate teaching, maintaining their high standards, and award of degrees to the candidates successful in their respective examinations.
Promotion of research and extension activities relevant to the requirements of the region in accordance with the interests of nation building.
Departments and Colleges
The University’s jurisdiction extends to the seven districts of Surat, Navasari, Valsad, Narmada, Dangs, Bharuch and Tapi and the Union Territory of Daman and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. There are 25 Post Graduate Departments / Institutes on the University campus that offers 95 programmes with multiple specializations including 19 M.Phil and 19 Ph.D. programmes. The University has 34 Government, 59 Grant-in-aid and 190 Self-financed Colleges and 104 Post-graduate Teaching Centres (subjectwise) attached to affiliated colleges. The University offers 36 Post Graduate, 4 Graduate, 3 Integrated and 9 PG Diploma and 05 Certificate programmes including self-financed programmes with semester credit based system at university campus. In its Post Graduate Departments, more than 4000 students are studying on the campus. The University has twelve faculties such as Arts, Commerce, Science, Education, Management Studies, Rural Studies, Engineering and Technology, Medicine, Law, Computer Science, Homoeopathic and Architecture. In pursuance of its vision, the University offers an academic environment conducive for the integral development of its students. All the departments emphasize interdisciplinary areas of study that can open up possibilities in new fields of research. Several major and minor research projects are underway in various departments. There are over two-lakh students currently enrolled in various courses in the University including affiliated colleges.
Campus Profile: Infrastructural and Academic Avenues
The University campus spread over in 210 Acres of land. The campus houses more than 100 buildings. The infrastructure of the University is being continuously augmented to serve its students and faculty effectively. Following amenities and student centric centers are available on university campus.
- University Central Library with over 1.97 lakh books, 779 journals, 650 e-books, 39 e-journals and 5000 UGC Infonet online titles.
- Acharya Mahapragya Corner, Pujya Mota Sahitya Corner & Geeta Press Gorakhpur Corner located in the Central Library – good collection of volumes on non-violence and spiritual values.
- Journals in the areas of Management & Administration, Humanities & Social Sciences, Science & Technology and Law
- Publication of a fortnightly University newsletter – “Dakshinayan”
- Research Repository Centre
- Shri B. V. Botanical Research Centre
- University Scientific Instrumentation Centre (USIC)
- Sophisticated Science Instrument Centre (SSIC)
- Women’s Study Center
- IBM Excellence Center
- Departments with SAP-UGC
- Smt. Kashiben Ramkishan Mundra Sanskar Kendra
- Lala Lajpat Rai Chintan Kendra, Punjabi Samaj
- Shri P P Savani Vachan Kendra
- Smt. Shantaben Nanubhai Vidiya Swami Vivekanand Sadhana Kendra
- Smt. Laxmiben Premjibhai Savani Saraswati Sadhana Kendra
- M. L. Kakadiya I.A.S.-I.P.S. and Competitive Exam Training Centre
- Health Centre with Ambulance facility
- Ramchandra Tulsian Art Gallery
- Shrimad Rajchandra Prarthana Hall
- Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University Regional Centre
- Replica of Narmad House
- Boys and Girls Hostels
- Guest Houses
- Convention Hall
- Dining Hall
- Seminar Halls
- Information Centre & Help Desk
- Toll Free Number
- Placement Cells
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Women Development Cell
- Anti Ragging Cell
- Internal Quality Assurance Cell
- Career Counseling Cell
- Psychological Guidance Cell
- Staff Quarters
- Day Care Centre
- Bank with ATMs
- Post Office
- Employment Bureau
- Suvidha Kendra
- Cricket Stadium
- Indoor Stadium
- Track & Field
- Basket Ball Court
- Optical Fiber Network
- Wi-Fi Zones
- Informative Website
- VNSGU Android App
- State of Art Computing Facility
- Nakshatra Van
- Bus Transportation
- Facilities for Differently Abled
- General Sanitation & Drinking Water facilities
- Copier Facility
- CCTV Surveillance
The University is committed to the ideal of excellence of the highest order, as evidenced by its constant revision of existing syllabi and continuous addition of new courses. It aims at optimal use of all its resources in creating a knowledge society, where rigorous scholarship and high ethical standards are blended to meet the challenges of the 21st century India.