POLICY OF WOMEN DEVELOPMENT CELL
Women Development Cell (WDC) at VNSGU has been constituted to develop a congenial environment to contribute in inclusive growth of all, particularly women in and around the ambit of the University. The cell aims to empower women though knowledge sharing, training and aptitude building exercises and programmes. This shall include; improving women’s sense of self-worth, making women aware of their right to have and to determine choices, their right to have access to opportunities and resources, their right to have the power to control their own lives, both within and outside the home and their ability to influence the direction of social change to create a more just social and economic order, nationally and internationally.
WDC shall create opportunities and environs to facilitate women to reach to the peak of their naturally endowed potential, and thereby enriching organizational and social life.
This policy shall extend and apply to all the female students, female employees of the campus and women in general.
In pursuance of the directions issued by University Grant Commission (UGC) and Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), the VNSG University has set up the WDC with the following objectives:
• To provide and foster a dignified, congenial working environment for women employees (including teaching, non-teaching and contractual workers) and students, where they can realize their potential to the fullest.
• To make women aware of their social and legal rights and thus empower them to stand against any discrimination.
• To develop personality and incubate leadership quality in women leading to a fulfilling lives.
• To organize activities and programme to achieve the above said objectives.
• To cooperate and collaborate with organizations with similar goals and activities.
• To act as a forum for information sharing and exchange of ideas.
A. “Cell” means Women Development Cell constituted under the provisions of these guidelines.
B. “Campus” means campus of Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat.
C. “Employee” means every person in the employment of the VNSGU to which these guidelines are applicable, including any teaching/non-teaching staff or officers, temporary, part time, honorary and visiting persons, visiting faculty members engaged in any duties by whatever designation called and also employees employed on a short vacancy, casual or project basis.
D. “Management” means and includes the Governing Body of Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat.
F. “Student” includes any person who is enrolled for any course with the University to which these guidelines are applicable and includes – (i) An Under graduate/Post graduate student, a Research Scholar and a Repeater; (ii) Any person, student or ex-student who has been permitted the use of any of the facilities of the University such as library, laboratory, reading room, computer labs, gym etc. on the payment of a fee or otherwise.
5. Policy Content and Guidelines WDC would function in consonance with the guidelines of “SAKSHAM” provided by UGC. The main functions shall include:
1. Organizing workshops and seminars that will result in women empowerment of both within the campus and outside the campus.
2. Spreading awareness about issues affecting women like health and fitness, finances and investment etc.
3. Assisting Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell (CPSH) for dealing with complaint and conducting an inquiry.
4. Collaborate with different State functionaries like State Resource Centre for Women (SRCW- NMEW), Gujarat Women Economic Development Corporation Ltd. (GWEDC) and Women and Child Development Department, Gujarat.
5. Collaborate with various organizations active in the field of women empowerment.
6. Monitor the timely conduction of activities under WDC and submit the reports of same to the University.
Composition of WDC
The composition of WDC shall be as under:
||Name & Address
||Hon.Vice Chancellor, V.N.S.G.U, Surat
||Registrar, V.N.S.G.U. Surat
||0261-2227141 to 46
||Dr. Manisha Panwala, Co-ordinator,
Professor, DBIM, V.N.S.G.U., Surat
Professor, Department of HRD, V.N.S.G.U. Surat
||Dr.Mosam R. Trivedi,
Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, V.N.S.G.U., Surat
Professor, Department of Physics,
||Smt. Snehlata Bhatia
||Dr.(Mrs.) Sushma Agrawal
||Smt. Parulben Patel,
Employment officer, Emp. Bureau, Surat
||Dr. Tarulata N. Chhowala,
Department of Chemistry, V.N.S.G.U, Surat
6. Operational Mechanism Meetings:
• The meeting agenda will be linked to the objectives of WDC and annual action plan. However the committee will also asses the current needs and develops the agenda accordingly.
• The Committee will meet at least three times a year. The chair of the Committee may convene additional meetings, as he/she deems necessary.
• A minimum of 4 members of the Committee will be present for the meeting to constitute a quorum.
Execution of Activities:
• A minimum of 4 activities (Workshops/Seminars/Awareness Camps/Training Programmes) will be conducted in an academic year.
• The activity will be planned and executed by WDC, supported by Department Coordinators. • A detailed report of each activity will be submitted to the university.
• Sample list of activities are as following:
Workshops/ seminars/ awareness camps on issues like:
1. Personality Development,
2. Women Fitness, Legal Literacy,
3. Financial Literacy,
4. Computer Training,
6. Social Skills like
• How to develop a kitchen garden
• Cookery Classes, etc.
7. Organizing Group discussions, Speech, Debate, Essay writing, Extempore, Posters etc on current issues to sensitize students.
8. Arranging lectures of highly qualified and successful Women.
9. Providing basic amenities for hygiene (soaps, hand towels etc), education (copies, pen, pencil etc.), old clothes, and other supplies though the University departments.
10. Any complaints of Sexual harassment received by WDC would be directed to the CPSH and full assistance would be provided to find justice in the case.
7. Review of Policy • On the basis of the experience of the working of the policy the WDC after adequate consultation with the related departments like Prevention of Sexual Harassment (CPSH) can put forth suggestion/recommendation for changes in the policy.
• The WDC- Chairperson is authorized to make recommendations to the University about changes in the policy.
• Any change will be incorporated based on approval from Governing Body of VNSG University.
• The policy will be reviewed after 2 academic years.